The iCare Rapid Syphilis Screen Test is a test for the presence of antibodies of Treponema Pallidum (TP) in whole blood as an aid in the diagnosis of syphilis infection. Syphilis is an infection caused by a bacterium called Treponema pallidum that is highly infectious. This infection is primarily sexually transmitted, but can also be passed on from a mother to her fetus during pregnancy, or through intimate contact with an individual who has an open, wet syphilitic sore (chancre). Within a few weeks, an infected person develops fever, chills, aches, headache, and swollen glands. Sometimes there are rashes as well. Next comes the second stage of Syphilis, where there could be no symptoms for as long as 10 years. In the third stage, brain damage can occur, as well as blindness, paralysis and disorientation, and damage to blood vessels.
1. Do not use the Syphilis test kit beyond the expiration date.
2. Do not use the kit if the pouch is punctured or not well sealed.
3. For in vitro use only. Do not swallow.
4. All specimens from the body should be treated as potentially infectious.
5. Contaminated blood may give incorrect test results.
6. Discard after first use. The test cannot be used more than once.
7. DISPOSAL: The used‐device has the risk of infection. Please dispose all used contents properly.
1. Each test contains:
■ Test cassette
■ Desiccant pouch (for keeping contents dry)
■ Micro pippette / dropper
2. One diluent bottle (5 ml)
3. One lancet (needle)
4. One alcohol swab
5. Instruction sheet
1. Select the finger for puncture, usually the fourth finger. Open the alcohol prep pad.
2. Clean the skin area to be punctured with the alcohol pad. Allow the finger to dry.
3. Prepare the lancet by pushing in the knob of the lancet and twisting the knob.
4. Pull out the knob.
5. Place the lancet at the finger and press the trigger to prick the skin. Allow a drop of blood to form on the finger.
6. Use the micro pippette to collect the blood. If blood flow is inadequate, gently massage at the base of the finger to produce sufficient blood volume. Collect 2 drops of blood.
7. Remove the testing cassette from the foil pouch and place it on a level surface. Holding the micro pipette vertically, add one drop of blood into the sample well of the test cassette.
8. Open the cap of the diluent bottle.
9. Add about 2 drops of diluent onto the sample well.
10. Wait for 15 minutes and read results. Do not read after 30 minutes.
The iCare Syphilis Test Kit instructions video is identical to the iCare HIV test kit instructional video. Please follow the same steps as in the HIV test kit instructions page.